How parents can help their children with
reading and writing
Literacy and numeracy are essential for success at key stage 1 and key stage 2, as well as being the foundation for all later learning. Here are some general ideas for parents wishing to give their children a head start.
- Encourage pre- reading and writing skills by using jigsaws, playing memory games and using dot-to-dot puzzles.
- Make sure your children have child-friendly materials, such as thick crayons, and insist on a correct pencil grip.
- Be aware of right and left-handedness, but don't try to "correct" left handedness.
- Read aloud with your children on a daily basis.
- Make sure they know the sounds of letters before they learn the names of the letters.
- Finally, whatever you do to encourage your children to read and write, remember that it has to be fun, otherwise you are wasting your time!